- NHK World, Japanese national TV channel, with live stream.
- From @pourmecoffee, Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than Nuclear Waste. From Scientific American.
- From @MitchellBard, Every Single GOPer On House Energy Cmte Won't Say Climate Change Is Real. What. The...? (from TPM)
Thirty-one Republicans on the House Energy And Commerce Committee -- the entire Republican contingent on the panel -- declined on Tuesday to vote in support of the very idea that climate change exists.
Democrats on the panel had suggested three amendments that said climate change is a real thing, is caused by humans and has potentially dire consequences for the future. The amendments came on a Republican bill to block the EPA from offering regulations to mitigate the results of global climate shifts. The global scientific community is in near unanimous agreement that climate change is real, and that humans contribute to it.
None of the 31 Republicans on the committee would vote yes on any of the amendments (Rep. Marsha Blackburn [R-TN] declined to vote on one.) The committee's 21 Democrats voted yes on all three.
- From @HuffingtonPost, Five Things Everyone Should Know About The Bible, Believe It or Not. About the books of the Bible, where they're from, the languages the books were originally written in, that sort of thing.
- From @nytimes, In Remote Japanese Towns, Survivors Tell of a Tsunami's Power. Wow. Just...wow:
Yasumasa Miyakawa, 70, who owned a laundry on the first floor of his home, said he and his wife ran up a hill when they heard the tsunami warnings. Then Mr. Miyakawa went back down, because he forgot to turn off his iron and was afraid it would catch fire.
When he stepped back outside his shop, he heard those on the hill above him yelling: “Run!” A wave was barreling at him, about a half-mile away, in the bay, he said. He jumped in his car, and by the time he could turn the key and put it in gear, the wave was almost upon him. He said he sped out of town chased by the wave, rising in his rearview mirror.
“It was like one of the ridiculous scenes from an action movie, except it was real,” said Mr. Miyakawa, his hands quivering. “I was going 70” — kilometers per hour, or about 45 miles per hour — “and the wave was gaining on me. That’s how fast it was.”
- From @godlessgirl, WTF Bible Stories: Rape, Marriage, and Circumcision. TRIGGER WARNINGS FOR RAPE AND FORCED MARRIAGE.
- TRIGGER WARNINGS FOR CHILD ABUSE. From @CEOofACT, Shedding light on child sex slavery by Jane Yoon at Tufts Daily.
- From @dawnam, Kasich claims he's increasing school funding; his budget shows a double-digit cut. From plunderbund.com and with the paperwork courtesy of Scribd.
- From @writeforwhiskey, Harvard University Attaches Itself to Extreme Anti-Gay, Anti-Islam Hatred. Ugh. FAIL, Harvard!
- Awwwww! From the UK Daily Mail, 'Help us mutiny': Johnny Depp pays surprise visit to London primary school dressed as Jack Sparrow after letter from girl, 9. Just--neato! :D
Also, clicky: the animal rescue site, the child health site, the literacy site, the rainforest site, the breast cancer site, the hunger site, and