- From Religious Dispatches, ABC's Good Christian Bitches Makes Feminists of Religious Right.
Attention, Internet! Good Christian Bitches, Kim Gatlin’s first book, has the word “bitch” in the title. I shall now give you a moment to compose yourself. Go find a cool compress for your fevered brow and/or relax the vicelike grip with which you surely must be clutching your pearls. “Christian” and “bitch,” right next to each other like that. The literary juxtaposition, O, it dazzles. It’s like saying… I don’t know… “four weddings and a vasectomy” or “love in the time of booger-eaters” or “the unbearable lightness of being a redacted expletive.”
Parents Television Council has gotten in on the act. You guys, did you know that “the b-word” (as they demurely say) has been used “to degrade, abuse, harass, bully and humiliate women”? It’s almost like there’s something called sexism in the world! I guess former PTC president L. Brent Bozell III has changed his mind since writing an editorial dismissing “feminist whining” about same.
- From MSNBC's Cosmic Log, How quake prediction works (or not). Useful!
- Also from Cosmic Log, Early hero of Japan's quake tragedy: Building codes. Gaspo! Regulation can do good!
- TRIGGER WARNINGS: RAPE AND VICTIM BLAMING. Regarding the Texas gang rape of an 11-year-old girl and the disgusting victim-blaming going on in the town (chron.com). Thankfully many are standing up for the girl, the real victim. It doesn't matter how she dressed OR how she acted OR how her mother behaved--an 11-year-old CANNOT CONSENT TO SEX, therefore all sex acts committed against her are RAPE.
- From atheistpub.blogspot.com, If I could design my daughter's future... I want this for my (hypothetical eventual) kids' future!
- From Politics Daily, 'Rango' Aims at 'Spiritual but Not Religious' Audience. I'm almost interested in seeing ig now. If there were a working movie theater within ten miles of where I live I'd probably wind up seeing it with Chris anyway (and mostly or totally enjoying it anyway).
- From the Hindustan Times, Force to probe missing kids cases. Via @CEOofACT.
- Fuuuuuuck. From the Cape Cod Times, A bill to legalize gay marriage in Maryland has died after the House of Delegates avoided a final vote on the measure. ARGH.
- From the webcomic DAR, Banana is Our Safe Word. Awwwww-some. XD
- DUDE. KNIT FERRARI. WIth crochet accents.
Also, clicky: the animal rescue site, the child health site, the literacy site, the rainforest site, the breast cancer site, the hunger site, and